Dr Raj Nagaraj, Ph.D.
Vice President of Engineering
Consultant and Software Developer for Fire and EMS departments
Over 20 years experience in applying analytical tools for evaluating the various operational and design issues that confront Fire Chiefs, EMS managers and 9-1-1 Center Directors at municipal, county and state levels. Proven track record of applying operations research models to design and implement optimal solutions for the following challenges:
- Deployment of fire and EMS apparatus
- Spatial and temporal deployment of ambulances
- Cost analysis of various EMS organizational options for meeting the same performance standards
- Ways to reduce ambulance response times
- Choice of ALS/BLS fleet mix
- Field provider work schedules and staffing requirements
- Experienced in developing, training, and managing operations research teams in the design and implementation of productivity improvement projects.
DECCAN INTERNATIONAL, San Diego, CA
Vice President and Director of Engineering (1995 to present)
Developed Fire/EMS ADAM, CAD Analyst, Box-area Automated Run card Builder, Live Move-Up Module, 1710 CAD Analyst, and 1710 ADAM - six pioneering software applications for fire/EMS departments.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA GOVERNMENT, FIRE DEPARTMENT, Washington, DC
Industrial Engineer (1994 - 1995)
Led the Re-Engineering Fire Suppression Operations (RESO) project that developed optimal deployment plans for the fire department.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA GOVERNMENT, OFFICE OF PRODUCTIVITY MANAGEMENT SERVICES, Washington, DC
Senior Project Manager (1985 - 1994)
Managed an operations research team for conducting a comprehensive evaluation of Washington, DC's EMS operations and prepared an award winning report titled "Improving Ambulance Operations in Washington, DC: A Blueprint For Change".
- Demonstrated using operations research models that, counter to normal thinking, a single-tier All-ALS system was cheaper by 33% than an equivalent two-tier ALS/BLS system for meeting the same target response time standards.
- Received award for "Answering 911 Within the First Ring" from Public Technology Inc., for reducing 911 call waiting times by 68%.
URBAN SYSTEMS SERVICES, Bethesda, MD
President (1989 - 1994)
Provided EMS and 9-1-1 center consulting assistance to private ambulance and local government operations.
- Developed manning level standards for meeting target call waiting times, optimal work schedules for minimizing staffing requirements, and cost comparisons of three options for re-configuring New Castle County, Delaware's 9-1-1 center that would, among others, increase the percentage of calls answered within 10 seconds from 69% to over 90%.
UNIVERSITY OF IOWA, DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES, Iowa City, Iowa
Assistant Professor (1983 - 1985)
Ph.D., Industrial Engineering - Purdue University, 1983
M.S., Industrial Engineering - Purdue University, 1979
B. Tech, Civil Engineering - Indian Institute of Technology, India, 1977